03 September 2007

Labor Day!

Yes, it's Labor Day but do you know why it's Labor Day? Here are some fun facts for this wonderful and confusing holiday:

-Labor Day began in 1882 because the Central Labor Union wanted to create a day off for the "working man" (but now I think it's just another excuse for car dealers and furniture stores to have “special” sales).
-Labor Day always takes place on the first Monday in September and marks the symbolic end of summer. Have fun in school all you chumps out there.
-Labor Day weekend traditionally kicks off the first weekend of college football (to Robin's dismay).
-Congress officially made Labor Day a federal holiday in 1894. I wonder if they had barbecues back in the day.
-It's harder to get excited about a holiday like Labor Day or a long weekend when you're not working.
-Remember, don’t wear white after Labor Day!

And here are my previous Labor Day e-mail greetings, which were maybe a little over-the-top and also followed a slightly different theme:

2005
2004

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow Christian, you've plumped up in that picture.

We went to a Honda dealer today and guess what? It was closed. No special deals in Rochester today. At least we got to go to a parade of all the labor unions right down our street.

Ben said...

Brilliant picture. I'd say it's one of my favorites because you have to think a little about it first...well, I didn't really have to think about it but that's because I'm a genius. I assume other people did though.