19 September 2007

National Talk Like A Pirate Day!

You probably don't know this but my very first Holiday greeting email ever was for National Talk Like A Pirate Day back in 2003. I actually don't have that picture to post here because that was before I had my own computer and I was still saving files on a floppy disk. Who knows where it is. It was also before I had Photoshop, so it was pretty ghetto. If you were lucky enough to get that email, send it to me and I'll add it here.

Here are some fun facts about this peculiar yet wonderful holiday:
--It was invented in 1995 by John Baur ("Ol' Chumbucket") and Mark Summers ("Cap'n Slappy"), who proclaimed September 19 each year as the day when everyone in the world should talk like a pirate.
--It was first an inside joke between the founders but it gained exposure when Baur and Summers sent a letter about their invented holiday to syndicated columnist Dave Barry in 2002.
--September 19 was chosen because it was the birthday of Summers' ex-wife and consequently would be easy for him to remember.
--There is a list of the top ten pirate pick-up lines on the Official National Talk Like A Pirate Day website. You can read them here, although they're a little too racy for my blog. (The 2006 Holiday Greeting comes from that list.)

Past Holiday Greetings:
2006

Avast! Shiver me timbers, landlubbers!

3 comments:

michal & david coombs said...

ha! i was just about to email you asking where your pirate greeting is--i've been waiting for it all day! are you going to post something about the s.l.u.t.?

Sunny said...

What I love best about your blog is that you always manage to incorporate a photoshoped image of yourself. Thank you Adobe!!

Maggie May said...

why doesn't robin get to be kiera?!