05 October 2007

General Conference Here We Come

In honor of General Conference this weekend, I have compiled a short list of my favorite unusual, funny, odd Conference moments.

October 2002. Colleen Menlove began her talk by exclaiming: "I like exclamation marks!"
Okay. How odd. And probably very difficult for the foreign language translators to work with during the live broadcast. I don't have a favorite punctuation mark but I'm open to changing that. That comma really is amazing.




April 2002. Spencer J. Condie advised the youth of the Church in his talk: "You young men will grow in stature and physical strength as you engage in folk dancing, sports, and wholesome, friendly athletic competition characterized by good sportsmanship."
Folk dancing? Folk dancing? I've never known a young man to grow in stature and physical strength from folk dancing. But hey, what do I know? My legs are skinnier than a lot of guys' biceps.


April 2001. Carol B. Thomas encouraged parents in her talk to "teach our children to go through their closets regularly and share their clothing while it is still in style, allowing others to dress fashionably too."
I think we all know that you don't go to DI or Salvation Army to buy fashionable clothing. (Unless pit stains are the new craze with the youngsters). But maybe that's because we're not encouraging our children often enough to donate their clothing while it's still in style. Uggs here I come!!!


A recent Conference where the person saying the closing prayer said, "Please bless President Kimball."
I can't remember who said this but it must have been awkward for him to leave the podium and walk by President Hinckley. Oops.





At another recent Conference, President Hinckley jokingly challenged a General Authority to a duel in the basement of the Tabernacle. It was pretty funny and everyone laughed. Then in the same Conference, another speaker jokingly challenged President Hinckley to a duel in the basement of the Tabernacle. It was pretty lame and no one laughed. Sorry dude, jokes are only good the first time.

6 comments:

two forks said...

at least sister menlove didn't say, "I LOVE PERIODS!"

Ben said...

Robin,

That is one of the funniest/disgusting comments I have ever read.

Bravo.

Christian, were you not at Nate's when Elder Dieder (I think) gave a prayer and said "Our Fa-Der" (he's Dutch, I think)? Anyway, Jake Anderson broke out laughing and didn't stop for the whole session. It was quite memorable although not that funny.

Ben said...

It was Didier, who is from Belgium. I looked it up.

michal & david coombs said...

i love semi-colons

Abbie said...

I didn't realize that you were so funny. Were you this funny in the MTC?

CaliZona said...

Don't we all love President Kimball?