31 October 2007

Halloween!



Happy Halloween to everyone! This year I thought I'd be a guitarist in a lame band (no, not Blur).

Here are some fun Halloween facts and figures:

The term Halloween (and its alternative rendering Hallowe'en) is shortened from All-Hallow-Even as it is the eve of All Hallows' Day. Most Americans write with bad grammar so I'm not surprised we shortened it and took out the apostrophes.

In the United States, Halloween has become the sixth most profitable holiday (after Christmas, Mother's Day, Valentines Day, Easter, and Father's Day). What about my birthday?

I went trick-or-treating all throughout high school. Senior year my friend and I didn't even get dressed up. People asked us who we were and we said, "Dumb and Dumber." It's funny because it's true!

I loved when you would show up to a door with all the lights off and an empty bowl on the front steps with a sign that said, "Please take one." You know that the first kid dumped the whole thing in his bag and took off. I always wanted to leave an empty bowl on our porch with that same note, only not put out any candy in the first place and keep it for myself. My Mom never let me do this brilliant plan.

When I was in 1st grade my parents entered me into some kind of costume contest at the Herndon Community Center. I don't remember which category I was in, but I think I was supposed to be scary because the guy next to me hissed at the judges and made cat-scratch movements when they were judging us. All I remember is I won 3rd Place. And if you look in the background you can see our brand new Apple II-C computer. That Steve Jobs was changing lives even back then!


I'm not sure what I was this year (1984). Some kind of commando bunny?


On my mission in Italy we taught an English class two nights a week. We decided to throw a Halloween party and make a haunted house in lieu of class on Halloween. Somehow a newspaper in town found out and decided to run a story on us. They interviewed us missionaries while we were decorating the church and somehow in the course of the story, Halloween became a Mormon observance. Those crazy Mormons! In case you can read Italian, here's the article (I'm the one on the back left):


Past holiday greetings:


2003 (and 2006 because I got lazy): This was my second-ever holiday greeting email. If you got that email, consider yourself very fortunate. Obviously that year I was C-Biscuit for Halloween.












2004: I just love Donkey.














2005: This was a good idea but it just didn't turn out that great.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Those that in films always have 3 or 4 wives..." that is a sweet article. You most certainly are a cristiano Christian.

two forks said...

what is that bunny costume?! don't lie christian, i bet you begged your mom to be a pastel blue bunny with cape and utility belt!

Reed F said...

Commando bunny?? What guy would ever want to be any sort of bunny? ever? I'm racking my brain trying to come up with any sort of commando bunny type action figure but no, nothing.

Hilarious.

deidra said...

The orange face in the last one looks more like an Oompa-Loompa than a pumpkin! Funny!

So, Chris and I have the Wii all set up, and we're waiting for Paris to come visit.

Jerkolas said...

Commando Bunny is pretty cool. I am not sure what you are in the first one. Is that a dude dressed up like a broadway cat?