22 November 2007

Thanksgiving!



A Happy Thanksgiving to all! It's time again for my favorite holiday of the year. I like Thanksgiving for the food, football, and family (in order of importance).

Now for some history. You may have thought that the first Thanksgiving was in Plymouth Rock in 1621 but according to Wikipedia it was in Berkeley Plantation, Virginia in 1619. Just another reason why Virginia is the best state.

In 1939 FDR named Thanksgiving the fourth Thursday of November. Congress later approved this in 1941. How does it take two years to approve a national holiday this amazing? And you thought this year's Congress was bad (20% approval ratings don't lie).

Some of my favorite Thanksgiving memories:

--Once I flew home from college for Thanksgiving the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. I got a speeding ticket on the way to the airport. I asked the officer if he would give me a break since it was Thanksgiving. He said, "It's not Thanksgiving yet." What a fetcher.

--One Thanksgiving when I was a young teen our Dad wanted everyone to say something we were thankful for. For some reason no one wanted to do it and it turned into a big fight. I don't think we finished dinner together that year. And I don't think that was what he had in mind.

--In the MTC I was the first one in line for Thanksgiving dinner out of the entire MTC. Apparently by the time they got to the end of the line they were out of turkey. Suckers!

You may or may not know this about me but I've kept a journal every day since February 1992. Sometimes it's funny to look back and see what I wrote about, my handwriting, and my writing skills. Here are the Thanksgiving Day entries from 1992, 1993, and 1994:







I love how every year I wrote out each dish we ate at Thanksgiving (and it was always exactly the same). And my synopsis of Stargate in 1994 was enthralling. Maybe I should have gotten a movie review degree instead of going to law school.

Past holiday greetings:

2003: This was pretty ghetto but what can you do when all you have is Microsoft Paint?


2004: Extra credit if you know who the other turkey was.


2005: Where's Waldo?


2006: Just chilling and getting insulted by another turkey.

No comments: