07 January 2008

Now I remember...

...why I love the Seahawks so much. It had been a while but it's all coming back to me. The fans are polite gentlemen. They even start fun chants in the bathroom before the game exclaiming how much the other team sucks (while I was in the bathroom a guy came in and yelled, "I say Redskins, you say suck!" and when he yelled, "Redskins," a chorus of "Suck" came from the stalls and urinals). What's not to love?

I wore a burgundy North Face jacket and a yellow Redskins beanie at the Redskins-Seahawks playoff game on Saturday. So, those friendly fans threw peanuts at me the entire game, usually one at a time, from the beginning of the 1st Quarter to the end of the 4th Quarter. (And don't forget the entire bag of peanuts that was dumped on my head somewhere in there). That's one use for the peanut I bet George Washington Carver didn't invent. One guy spit his sunflower seed shells on me most of the game. I do like sunflower seeds a lot, but not chewed-up shells. A bag of trash hit my shoulder right near the end. I really wanted to go Ron Artest on someone, but when you're my size you learn at an early age that patience and reason are a better option. I was in a Lose-Lose situation, though. If I had reacted, I probably would have gotten a beat down. But they got madder because I didn't do anything back. Thanks, Gandhi, your non-violent ways really worked for me.

I was really excited when the Redskins took the lead in the 4th Quarter but I realized that I wanted the Redskins to win more out of spite towards all Seahawks fans than because the Redskins are my favorite team. Spite definitely would have made me feel better.

I captured some of the fans on film to show you what I was dealing with:

Here are a couple of typical Seahawks fans. I think the looks on their faces say it all.



I always knew there was something fishy about that whole 12th Man thing.



It's weird. When I took this picture, my camera just added this word. I guess it automatically recognized what it was looking at.

5 comments:

Yaj said...

They reacted that way to you for the following reasons: one, you have a brain and neanderthals can sense that and react negatively, and, two, you were outnumbered and neanderthals can see that and react negatively... they can't help it, it is instinctive...

Suzanne said...

GO Seahawks!!!!!!!!!!!! Kick Ass.

shortino said...

good for you for having worn your team's colors, but you should have expected worse... what, no beer poured on you?

sometimes you just shouldn't feed the animals.

FoxyJ said...

I think it starts with college football. I've never lived in a place where football fans consider throwing bicycles through windows an appopriate way to express their feelings.

Reed F said...

Ah SPITE. It's OK as long as it's for spite.

I would have voted against you had you not said that you wanted the Skins to win if only for spite.

Skins suck.