08 February 2008

Boy Scout Day!



In case you didn't know, Boy Scout Day celebrates the birthday of Scouting in America. On February 8, 1910, William Dickson Boyce filed incorporation papers in the District of Columbia to create the Boy Scouts of America.

The fathers of most girls I dated asked me whether I was an Eagle Scout. I didn't quite make it to Eagle but after much time and effort, I did achieve the Bobcat rank. Let me tell you the story: I was a Bobcat, living the life at events like the Pine Wood Derby. Then one day our troop was supposed to go door-to-door selling donuts to raise some money. I told my mom I didn't want to do it. She said, "Well, you can't do fun things like the Pine Wood Derby if you don't do the fundraisers. You have to do everything or nothing." So, obviously I chose nothing. The Pine Wood Derby is overrated anyway.


Here I am receiving my Bobcat rank. No, that is not my dad holding me. He would never have worn a braided leather belt like that.

**this post has been graciously brought to you by robin, since the tough little bobcat is curled up on the couch for the 3rd day straight. marrying an eagle scout is also overrated... i mean, as long as he can photoshop, what more do you need?

4 comments:

Yaj said...

I hear bobcats don't get along with armadillos... and your dad doesn't wear anything braided!

Yaj said...

P.s. Did that little bobcat in the emblem picture grow up to be a mechanic in 2006?

Ben said...

The man holding you is the one and only Barry Moats, a fixture in the Reston Ward Boy Scouting World.

Interestingly, I didn't get my Eagle either, but I waited until I got my Life (the rank before Eagle) to quit. What a waste. I could've spent my free time doing whatever cool stuff you did instead of going to Boy Scout Camp and the like.

Oh, you worked at Everything Yogurt? I guess I don't regret it now.

michal & david coombs said...

the story i always heard was that mom didn't approve of how the boy scouts ran around the church acting like...you, know, boys...so she didn't allow you and jon erik to participate. i guess she thought she'd teach you the proper by scout things at home...