02 February 2008

Groundhog Day!



A Happy Groundhog Day to all!

Some fun groundhog facts for you: (courtesy of groundhog.org, the official site of Puxsutawney Phil)

--Punxsutawney held its first Groundhog Day in the 1800s. The first official trek to Gobbler's Knob was made on February 2, 1887. I'd like to know who was the genius who said, "Hey everyone, I have a great idea. On February 2, let's walk a couple miles out of town to Gobbler's Knob, hold up a groundhog, pretend to hear him say whether he saw his shadow, and then proclaim that winter will be longer or shorter than usual, based on his 'answer.'" And I'd like to know who heard this idea and actually did it. And yet, 121 years later, people are still doing it.

--The average groundhog is 20 inches long and normally weighs from 12 to 15 pounds. Punxsutawney Phil weighs about 20 pounds and is 22 inches long. In contrast, I weighed 8 pounds and was 22 inches long when I was born. Sounds like I would have been a skinny groundhog.

--A groundhog can whistle when it is alarmed. Groundhogs also whistle in the spring when they begin courting. I guess humans and groundhogs have more in common than you think.

--Young Groundhogs are usually born in mid-April or May, and by July they are able to go out on their own. The size of the litter is 4 to 9. A baby groundhog is called a kit or a cub. A groundhog's life span is normally 6 to 8 years. I've never even seen a groundhog so I'd like to know how one becomes a groundhog expert and knows all this stuff.

Past holiday greetings:

2007: If you don't remember the Astronaut Love Triangle, you probably won't laugh at this.


2006: Just chillin'.


2005: My favorite part of this one is how I used a photo of me with a beard. I think it fit just right.


2004: Pre-Photoshop days. Obviously.

1 comment:

Yaj said...

Our guinea pig did not see his shadow today. So there - early spring... That's a cavy without speaking trash talking a marmot! So, how much wood can Phil chuck anyway?