28 May 2008

Mom Jeans



They say every fashion style makes a comeback if you wait long enough. So, like the rest of you, I have been counting down the years when mom jeans would make theirs. You just can't find a suitable substitute for the high waist, front pleats, flattering butt, and slimming cuffs. Well, our wait is over. The guy at Gap just told me they are discontinuing boot fit jeans. This means one thing: mom jeans are coming back!


Everyone wants this again.

Just a couple weeks ago I was at a work meeting with a bunch of computer programmers. Now, I think we could agree that a stereotype programmers face is that they're not always socially adept or fashion-conscious. Not this time. Most were wearing jeans like these:



I thought to myself, "Don't these guys know these jeans were cool back in the early 1990's?" I judged these poor programmers in my head. But who's laughing now? They waited so long to buy in-style jeans that now they can just keep on wearing what they already have. This must be the Circle of Life that Elton John was talking about. (But what's a Honky Cat?)

6 comments:

Yaj said...

Those look just like the jeans I bought in the 60's, and oh, in the 80's, and oh, in the 90's, and oh, just last week I bought a couple of new pairs from Cabelas. I like to double cuff mine at the bottom, just like I did in the 60's and oh, in the 80's, and oh, in the 90's.

Note: They do NOT look like the jeans I bought in the 70's - bell bottoms!* They were, by the way, VERY comfortable and I am still waiting for them to come back... and waiting.

* One did not double cuff those. Or even single cuff them, now that I think about it...

Yaj said...

Are they back yet?

Yaj said...

In two out of your last four posts you depict yourself wearing women's clothing. Um...

Bethanne said...

Okay, that is hilarious! And awful. Those jeans have always been, and will always be, awful. Yikes!

I hope I don't end up looking like or wearing anything like that. Shoot me now.

two forks said...

i think a honky cat is probably like that cat that dances in the music video with paula abdul... or the one in the counting crows video.

rachel tanner said...

i agree with yaj...

a lot of girls would kill to have those bodies...including me.

those are some pretty fiinee woman in them jeans.
hahaaaaaaha.