24 July 2008

Pioneer Day!



Happy Pioneer Day to all!

According to Wikipedia: (so you know it's true)
    Pioneer Day is a holiday celebrated on July 24 in Utah, with some celebrations in regions of surrounding states originally settled by Mormon pioneers. It commemorates the entry of Brigham Young and the first group of Mormon Pioneers into the Salt Lake Valley on July 24, 1847, where the Latter-day Saints settled after being forced from Nauvoo, Illinois and other locations in the eastern United States. Parades, fireworks, rodeos, and other festivities help commemorate the event.
In 2000 I moved to Utah to go to BYU. I drove across the country in my friend's old Subaru, not unlike the pioneers before me. Only, when we got to State Street in Orem in the wee morning hours and drove past strip mall after strip mall I thought, "This is the place? You have to be kidding me." But Utah eventually grew on me and a few months later I experienced my first official Pioneer Day. Basically, it felt like a second 4th of July and everyone knows you can never have too many 4th of Julys.

I also remember a Pioneer Day ward activity in Virginia when I was about 11 or 12. There was a contest to build the smallest covered wagon. I got out my construction paper and scissors and got to work, just like the pioneers of old. My wagon was about 1" square and needless to say, the competition wasn't even close.

Past holiday greetings:

2004: Wow, pioneer girls were hot.


2005: I'm so keen-o on beefarino, what a delicious cuisine-o, fit for a king and queen-o.


2006: Top ten all-time holiday greeting.


2007: Top ten all-time worst holiday greeting.

3 comments:

two forks said...

i like how you are rockin' the pioneer-sunglass-get-up...

Yaj said...

Goin' my way, Mama? Or is it Babe-O-Licious...?

david & michal coombs said...

i didn't even know this was a recognized holiday until i moved to utah...you know, i thought it was something the primary celebrated with some activity day. then i move to utah and discover it isn't just a holiday, but a paid holiday! only in utah...