01 July 2008

Pudding Pops


When I moved to Seattle in 2004 I discovered something amazing: Jell-O Pudding Pops were back! There they were, in my grocer's ice cream section, just waiting for me to buy them every week. What a delicious treat. I personally like the vanilla ones the best, but swirl is a close second. Nothing tops off a delicious meal or makes the perfect snack like the creamy, frosty goodness that is a Pudding Pop. Obviously Bill Cosby knew what he was talking about back in the '80s. So I enjoyed them for the past few years until one day they were gone, just like Social Security will be in 20 years. You can see for yourself on the Pudding Pop Store Locator:



I wrote to Ice Cream USA and they gave me the heave-ho. I talked to the clerks at two different Safeways and they didn't do anything about it. So I emailed Ice Cream USA again and here's what they said:


Then they sent me this letter in the mail a few days later:


Wow, free coupons for a delicious product that I can't buy. Your customer service department is amazing, parent company Unilever. Then I did some searching and found this:

A store in Maryland that still sold Pudding Pops! So I bought a plane ticket this weekend and hopped on over there. (Don't fly Air Tran if you can help it. It's like riding a Greyhound bus through the sky.)


Here I am at the Super Fresh in Maryland with my two free boxes of Jell-O Pudding Pops. People stared at me and wondered why I was taking a picture. I explained that I just flew in from Seattle to buy some Pudding Pops and then they understood.


Here I am enjoying a delicious Pudding Pop by the pool, just like in the old days. (Read this if you're curious to know how I got so ripped.)


It was definitely worth a cross-country flight to be reunited again, even if just for a weekend.

5 comments:

two forks said...

you mean you didn't save me any swirl pudding pops??? the nerve!

Ben said...

Great post. As much as I love Pudding Pops (chocolate, of course), I would've used those coupons on Breyers Ice Cream or Klondike Bars which would maximize the amount of ice cream purchased per coupon.

Anyway, I think I need to write a similar letter to get free ice cream. What a deal!!!

Yaj said...

Klondike ...
Good Humor Almond ...
Klondike ...
Good Humor Almond ...
MIIIINT Klondike ...
Good Humor Almond ...

Pudding Pops - pshaw!

Yaj said...

P.s. There are 24 stores within 15 miles of my house that sell Pudding Pops... Nyah, nyah!

Mail you some?

CaliZona said...

How totally cool that the lady signing your free coupon letter has a name that sounds like Bon Jovi.

Rock-on pudding pop dude!