05 September 2008

Book Review: Breaking Dawn



Well, sorry this review is late. I know the latest Twilight book has been out a while but I had to speed through the first three before I could read this last one. Man, what a ride! These books are amazing! Stephenie Meyer's writing style is so sophisticated and refined, it is obvious she went to college at BYU. I never took any writing classes there, but wow, you can tell she did.

Enough about the author, let's talk about the book! I will admit that I was skeptical about the Twilight books ever since I heard the buzz around town. But, then I read the back cover of Twilight:



Wow! I was immediately drawn in, almost like Bella's neck to Edward's fangs. My heart was racing, and I had to know more! So I took off a day from work to catch up and finish the series. I'm so glad I did. I finally understand why people love these books so much! They're great. I mean, I was screaming out loud when I found out Jacob was a werewolf! It's so scary when he howls at the moon. And then when Bella had the half-werewolf/half-vampire baby! Who is the father?!?! I just can't wait for the next one to come out.

For all you guys out there, just know that you can read these books and still have a sense of dignity. I do. And I can guarantee that there will be just as many guys as girls in the movie theater when Twilight comes out on the big screen. Advance tickets, here I come. I love you Fandango!

I think the best part about these books is that they give young girls everywhere hope that they can find love, even in the most unlikely of circumstances. Sometimes you might end up with a vampire husband who wants to suck your blood, but that's okay, true love is waiting out there somewhere. You just have to look hard enough, move to the right small town on the Olympic Peninsula, and be willing to settle for half-vampire/half-werewolf babies.

About one thing I am absolutely positive. There is a part of me--and I'm pretty sure I know how dominant this part may be--that wants to say to all you Twilight fans out there: "Really?" (Picture the Arrested Development "Her?" voice.)

12 comments:

Shauna said...

As a person who had boycotted this series because . . well . . . I just don't believe in love, I wanted to say that I really appreciated this post.

Megan said...

Did you really read all 4 of the books? Cover to cover? If not, you can't mock them. If you did, then you must have enjoyed them enough to keep reading (curiosity wouldn't sustain you through 4 books).

Sara G said...

This is a timely post because I just finished reading Breaking Dawn yesterday (I am not a die- hard fan and waited until it was available in the library). I admit I really liked her first book, but each has gotten gradually more and more ridiculous. She should just stop, but of course there will be another one. Could it really get worse than a teenage half werewolf boy falling obsessively in love with a newborn half vampire baby girl? P.S. She really needs a new editor--every book has had 3 or more typos!

two forks said...

only three!? i think her editor needs an editor! phooey. you just wait stephanie meyer... i'm going to have an amazing dream and make into a book!

Yaj said...

Is the next title "Breaking Wind?"

'L' said...

You suck Christian! -Chelsey

'L' said...

P.S.-You're a fetcher. -Chelsey

Yaj said...

At church today I happened upon a discussion in the hallway (many females) and overheard that it was about the "Twilight" series. When I said that my son had a small blog spoof on the series and that they should check it out, I was immediately pounced upon by a crowd of spitting, scratching cats! I escaped, but barely.

If John or Abraham or Moroni were so popular...!!

Becca said...

One thing I'm absolutely positive of is that this post's flippin hilarious!! The comment above me is pretty funny too. :)

Yaj said...

I have to admit, until this blog post I had never heard about the "Twilight" series. Since Friday, I have heard now four times more!

There are those who want to read it and I am unable to help with lending a book, but I am sending links to this blog!

I will probably hear about that...

And here, after all these years of seeing vampire movies, I thought Bela was Dracula! Boy, am I way behind the curve...

Lisa Garcia said...

I gave it a chance and read the first one, but that was enough for me! However, after watching the preview you linked to, I totally want to see the movie! No joke! Edward is so hot!!!

Tara said...

This comment is 2 years late but I had to give you props for the AD nod. "Her?" hahhahahaha. Now I must go attend to my hard boiled egg and mayonnaise. slurp.