24 September 2008

National Punctuation Day!


Lets celebrate together!

Happy National Punctuation Day! There are many ways people punctuate incorrectly but today let's focus on the apostrophe. Why is the apostrophe so hard? For some reason people always want to throw an extra one in where it's not needed or leave it out of obvious situations. You're probably blaming your follies on Schoolhouse Rock! for never doing a song on it.

Sometimes I feel embarrassed for my friends so I call them out for using incorrect punctuation or grammar. Here is what they say: "I don't have time to proofread all my emails. Why are you such a fetcher?" I don't know but the real question is, why is it so hard to use an apostrophe?

Since I'm such a good friend, here are a few visual examples to get you on the right track to correct apostrophe usage:















See its easy.

9 comments:

MistaBen said...

Perhaps it's understandable that people throw in one extra apostrophe occasionally. Everybody's human! But using TWO apostrophes in "banana''s" is just plain silly.

The supermarket in question is obviously about to fail. But have no fear! Congress will surely bail out this supermarket immediately, so we can avoid all the scary-but-vague consequences.

Yaj said...

There should be a space before "marinara" in the Panini ad... yet you have a check... check your checks before you check! You should be more like the Russians, who checked their Czechs. So you should Czech before you check too...

Hungarians... sheesh! Or is it shee'sh? Shees'h?

Cindy said...

So...does that mean the word "your" on your shirt shouldn't have an apostrophe in it?? Shouldn't it be you're?? I'm so confused...

the guitarist from hell said...

Your the best!!!

Nathan said...

I demand in the name of transperancy that you reveal how many times you had to proof read your post before you felt comfortable posting it. Or is baby Christian too scared to admit the truth.

CaliZona said...

ha ha ha! I used to work with an office manager who sent professional letters representing the Dr. with truly hideous grammar ie: "I had wrote a letter" and "we had went". Her spelling was also very sad. The difference between 'there' and 'their' is only one example of what escaped her regularly.

She said, "No one cares about spelling anymore. We're not in school." I was thinking, 'you are 40 year's old - why advertise your a idot?'

C-Biscuit said...

To Nathan:

What's transperancy?

If you had emailed me your comment before posting it, I would have caught this for you.

Baby Christian

Yaj said...

Oooooooh...

Bethanne said...

Wow, who knew you were such a punctuation nazi?! Good to know...it must've been my influence as TA in IAS 100. hahahahahahaha