07 October 2008

Oasis!



Today Oasis' new album is released. It sounds great. You should buy it. Nevermind the fact that Pink just outsold Oasis' first single in the UK. I'm sure that was just a fluke.

Oasis has sold over 50 million albums all around the world and it's easy to see why: the songwriting is brilliant. Here are my top ten best Oasis lyrics:
  1. You live for your toys, even though they make noise. Have you ever played with plastercine or even tried a trampoline? (Little James)
  2. Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball. (Champagne Supernova)
  3. The sink is full of fishes, cuz she's got dirty dishes on the brain. (Some Might Say)
  4. I've been driving in my car with my friend Mr. Soft. Mr. Clean and Mr. Ben are living in my loft. (Shaker Maker)
  5. She's electric, she's in a family full of eccentrics. (She's Electric)
  6. I know a girl called Elsa. She’s into Alka Seltzer. She sniffs it through a cane on a supersonic train. She made me laugh. I got her autograph. (Supersonic)
  7. I’ll treat you like a Queen. I’ll give you strawberries and cream. And then your friends will all go green for my lasagne. (Digsy's Diner)
  8. All your dreams are made of strawberry lemonade. (Talk Tonight)
  9. I'll take my car and drive real far. (Rock 'n Roll Star)
  10. Hey you! Up in a tree. You wanna be me? Well that couldn’t be. (Up in the Sky)
  11. D'you dig my friends? D'you dig my shoes? I am like a child with nothing to lose but my mind. (Magic Pie)
  12. Some day you will find me caught beneath the landslide in a champagne supernova in the sky. (Champagne Supernova)
So profound! And one of my favorite Oasis stories is when Liam in a concert dedicated the song "Live Forever" to his two front teeth that were previously knocked out in a bar fight. What's not to love about that?

Despite their reputation for being very friendly and personable, I've unfortunately never met Oasis. But on June 15, 1997, I called in to the national radio show Modern Rock Live and asked Noel Gallagher a question on the air.

You can listen to it here:


And here's the transcript:

MRL Host: You're next on Modern Rock Live.

Me: Hey Noel, this question's for you. Um, I was at your last show in Virginia on your US tour (9/10/1996 at the Nissan Pavilion), and I was wondering why you quit the tour early?

Noel: (various chuckling in the background) Um, because uh, I wanted to go home and watch Man City and eat baked beans. No, we was just touring too much and were getting bored of it. I'm sorry if you bought tickets to the gig and we didn't turn up for it, you know, life's a bitch, there you go, I'm sorry. But, if you did actually buy tickets for the gig which we didn't turn up at, then we will come back and play for you, for you personally in your house.

MRL Host: Get ready for that
.

See what I mean? So friendly and personable. And the music is amazing. Some might say they're the best band in the world. That's why it's so weird when I tell people that Oasis is my favorite band and they give me a look like I'm George Michael talking about Ann on Arrested Development:

4 comments:

Yaj said...

Duce! Il duce!

Or is it Ill duce? Or maybe Ill dudé?

So, did you actually buy "tickets for the gig [they] didn't turn up at," cause "[they] was" bored, and did they turn up at your house to "play for you, for you personally," like being so friendly and personable and all? Dude? Well...?

Yaj said...

Those top ten lyrics, by the way, are pure poetry and polysemy. As refreshing as those water-hole places in the middle of a desert. What're they called again...?

shortino said...

My band in high school played Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova. We probably would have made it as big as Oasis themselves... if only we had a singer.

shortino said...

Apparently Amy Poehler hates armadillos. What's your buddy say to that?