18 June 2009

Church History Tour: Palmyra

Last weekend I got to visit the church sites where it all began: PALMYRA!!! I didn't find any gold plates, but I saw some cool stuff.

My parents actually took me here back in '82. I don't remember very much but I've always had this weird memory of them putting me on this stone pillar that was about twenty feet high. And I remember crying the whole time they tried to take a picture of me. Well, I found that "twenty foot stone pillar" and for some reason it didn't seem so scary this time around.
Poor little baby! Why isn't your little sister crying, too, baby?!?!

The Hill Cumorah.


The one downer was that Mrs. Smith was pretty mean and wouldn't even answer the door.


Thanks for the good times, Palmyra. Next stop, Kirtland!

6 comments:

chartie said...

Hey - we were in Palmyra just a few days before you were. Mrs. Smith didn't answer the door for us either, but we got some missionaries to unlock it and take us in anyway. That's the trick to it. :-)

david & michal coombs said...

i remember that trip! i always thought it was a weird dream i'd had as a kid--i remember jumping from red rock to red rock, and i thought we were on cliffs. i thought it was weird that mom and dad were letting us run around on cliffs. there were people singing in the background, too. i told mom about it recently and she said it was the cumorah trip--the sun was setting one day, and mom and dad let us run around behind the set while the choir was singing. weird what kids remember...

Ben said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ben said...

Who took those photos? They are fabulous!

the guitarist from hell said...

Cool pictures!

Yaj said...

Isn't that the Whitmer log house?

The most memorable thing about that trip was the pit toilets near where people like us slept in their cars! Michal would NOT use it. You thought it was pretty cool...

Yeah, boys and girls are just the same. NOT!