28 October 2009

The Running Man



You may know that I am training to run the Seattle Marathon on November 29. People seem to think this is a big deal, but if Lance Armstrong and Katie Holmes can do it, why can't I?

You: But it doesn't sound like you to spend so much time and effort on something.
Me: You're right, but somehow I've already spent more time training in the last few months than I did studying during law school.

You: Did you know that a marathon is 26.2 miles?
Me: Now you tell me.

You: I thought you didn't like running.
Me: I enjoy running almost as much as mayonnaise. But I am doing this as a personal challenge. You know, like when you drive home from the store and try to hit all the green lights along the way.

My goal at first was to win and donate the proceeds to a good cause. Then I realized that people can run a marathon faster than I can run a half marathon. So then I decided to raise $1 million and donate it to a good cause.

I'm running to benefit The Hope Heart Institute, a non-profit based in Bellevue, WA. Heart disease is the number one killer of men, women, and children and The Hope promotes heart disease research and awareness. I thought the least I could do was raise $1 million to fund their many student education, community outreach, and medical research programs. (I still haven't received my cashier checks from the Nigerian Government investments I made via email last year so I personally don't have that much money.)

This is where you come in. Now that the economy is on the up-and-up, why not contribute a few dollars? All you have to do is click HERE and follow the instructions to donate to my good cause. Just think--if each of my blog readers donated a few dollars, we would easily raise more than $1 million!

I'll be sure to post a blog about my experiences on the day of the big race but for now please enjoy some photos of my cold weather training:




2 comments:

Yaj said...

I answered this on another forum.

Anonymous

Yaj said...

Wow! Look at that! The blog allowed an Anonymous comment!