10 November 2009

Dear Sesame Street,



I grew up watching you. My mom thought cartoons were evil so if I wanted to watch TV, it was either you, Mr. Rogers, 3-2-1 Contact, Electric Company, or nothing.

Studies say that kids who watch Sesame Street are smarter and it must be true because I'm a genius. In fact, I started kindergarten when I was four years old (until my fifth birthday one week later.) Coincidence?

So happy 40th anniversary to Big Bird, Snuffalopogus, Oscar the Grouch, Cookie Monster, Grover, Count, Bert, Ernie, and the other talking puppets (but not that dorky newcomer Elmo) who helped me learn about counting and the alphabet. I owe you one.

Sincerely,
C-Biscuit

3 comments:

two forks said...

sesame street holds a special place in my heart... especially when i go to the store to buy a carton of milk, a loaf of bread and a stick of butta.

if sesame street is 40 how old are maria and all the other grown ups by now!?

Yaj said...

Ernie and Bert look like the 50's TV ad for Chock Full of Nuts coffee. That was the first muppet/puppet that was to mushroom.

When my brother and I were bored with nothing to do in any given afternoon, we turned on Mr. Rogers and rolled of the floor laughing...

Yaj said...

As to "evil" cartoons - you used to watch, and love, the Smurfs regularly. When your brother was born you were very upset because he was taking his time coming and your viewing time was getting cut off.

"I wish that baby would hurry up! The Smurfs are on!" I believe was your comment...