30 November 2009

26.2

Well, yesterday I ran the Seattle Marathon. It seems that a lot of people didn't believe my earlier blog where I announced I was going to do this. Maybe it was this entry last year about my exercise routines that made it hard to imagine me running a marathon. I personally think that my training since May should have been an indication I was serious, but whatever.

This was probably the hardest thing I've ever done (besides that time I watched a whole season of Gilmore Girls to impress this girl I was dating in college.) But when things got really hard and I wanted to give up, I just kept thinking about Andrew George's amazing overtime TD reception to give BYU the win over Utah on Saturday. That kept me going.


I happened to beat my goal of four hours and finished in 3:57:03. Now, the overall winner finished in 2:33:26 but what's more impressive--running for nearly four hours straight or running for two and a half hours straight? Exactly. Plus, I won my division. Here's my medal:

You can't read it but it says, "First Place, Fetchers Over 30 Who Had Never
Run More Than Three Miles Before This." (But why do I look like I'm on drugs?)

Here are some photos from the race:


I was running so fast that I was just a blur. (Wow, I have great posture, too.)


Here I am near the finish line. It was at about this time that
I decided to never run again.


Here are the shoes I wore. A guy at the running store said they weren't right for my body type and tried to get me to buy another pair. I ran in them anyway just to spite him.

Before/After. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Or that
my nipples would show through my shirt.

Anyway, thanks to all who donated to my charity, the Hope Heart Institute, to help further heart disease research, education, and awareness. I didn't raise the $1 million I was hoping for, but I did raise a decent amount. Hopefully those Nigerian investments I made last year will come through soon to make up the difference.

10 comments:

Leiland said...

Great Job Christian!

two forks said...

not only are you running so fast in that picture you are so skinny i almost can't see you!

so when is the next race?

Ben P said...

You're a champion, sir. Oh dang.

david & michal coombs said...

i love how loose spandex is on you!!...

Jenny said...

Oh Christian how this made me laugh. I think it was really your nipples that made me laugh. Still giggling. Congratulations on doing so well. I'm impressed. I doing another 1/2 marathon in June. Marathon? One day. Anyway...take it easy old friend.

calizona said...

You are Amazing.

Your logic identifying the true value in finish times is as usual - stunning.

I bow to your stunningness 1561.

Yaj said...

Four hours beats 2.5 by at least a mile. And for that ending picture, you are on drugs, though coming from the inside!

That is a terrific accomplishment. I am just sorry I could not have run it with you. Those days ended 13 years ago...

rachel tanner said...

Not only did i read your blog but i pretty much wrote in my journal how totally awesome you are.

Four is definitely better than two.

Keep it up! They dont have anything on you because they cant touch you. Hence the blurred picture!!

Laura said...

Great job on running the marathon...but I must say that watching an entire Gilmore Girls season is impressive...and probably way more enjoyable!

shortino said...

I have no idea how you survived a full season of that show...