22 June 2010

Book Report: Island of the Blue Dolphins



I was supposed to read this book in 4th Grade and give a book report. I don't remember how far I got, but I definitely didn't finish it. But as was the custom, I got up in the front of the class anyway to give a short summary of the book. Lots of kids would conclude their reports by saying, "And if you want to know what happens in the end, you'll have to read it for yourself." Not me, I made up an ending and another kid called me on it. I think I said that Karana and her brother were rescued at the end by blue dolphins. (The brother actually died a third of the way through.) I was pretty embarrassed at the time and I always wondered what really happened (but I guess never enough to actually read it, until now.) So here's my book report, 24 years late:

Dog fighting, dolphin racing, DeLoreans! What more could you ask for in a Newbury Award winner? The book got off to a slow start: the Aleuts come to hunt otter, they kill off most of the tribe on the island, blah blah blah. But when Karana finds her brother leading a dog fighting ring, things got really interesting! (And as an aside, I read on Wikipedia that this book is what inspired Michael Vick. And if Wikipedia said it, you know it's true.) I was sad when the dogs turned on the brother and killed him, though, and a little more detail about how he died would have been welcomed (but this is a children book after all.) The author made up for it when Karana started racing dolphins around the island--I don't know how she held on underwater to avoid getting eaten by the sharks, but I couldn't stop reading! My heart was beating fast during that part. And the end was amazing! I mean, all along I hoped she would get rescued but I never dreamed a DeLorean would come from the future to take her back to the mainland to join the rest of her people. I can't believe I didn't read this in 4th Grade! I'm sorry Mrs. Gaske!

Up next: A Wrinkle In Time.

6 comments:

david & michal coombs said...

two of my fav books--island of the blue dolphins and a wrinkle in time!

calizona said...

You totally missed the chapter that reveals the true JFK conspiracy theory.

Post us an original drawing of your back to the future blue dolphin girl and you might squeak by with a C+.

Yaj said...

Jordan had to read that one too and never finished it. I did and even finished her book report for her!

You must have missed the part about Karana's rehab center in Sedona. I think she's still running it.

I had a friend in Texas with a DeLorean and it was a very, very cool car!

Yaj said...

Do you want me to translate that?

OH! I just read it. You don't...

rachel tanner said...

hahahahah i had to read this too!!! &i did a report. hmm..interesting. good job BROTHA!

Monumental Beard said...

oh man. digested this one in 5th grade. recall pretty much not being that into it, or anything else from the reading class really. this was all during the time whenst i was readin' the likes of edgar allan poe and robert louis stevenson and such. at any rate, that teacher later went to prison for unnatural relations w/ a student...